WEBMASTER AND GRAPHIC DESIGNER
Mzuzu University is Malawi’s Second Public University established under the Laws of Malawi Cap 30:09, Mzuzu University Act No. 12 of 1997. The University is a dual mode public institution and hence has face-to-face and open, distance, and e-learning (ODeL) students. Mzuzu University also offers some of its programmes on block, weekend, and vacation releases and through collaborations with international partners.
The University invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position of Webmaster and Graphic Designer.
The successful candidate will report to the Assistant Registrar (Public Relations) functionally and to Director of Information and Communication Technology on technical matters.
- (i) Bachelor’s Degree in Web and Graphic Design, Information and Communication Technology, Computer Science, Business Information Technology or any related field obtained from a reputable and accredited institution of higher learning. Candidates with a Master’s degree in the relevant field will have an added advantage;
- (ii) At least three years’ experience in graphic design including print, multi-media, web and online design training; and
- (iii) Candidates with a background in advertisement agency and graphic design plus previous working experience in a professional marketing environment handling web and graphics designing will have an added advantage.
Attributes and Competencies
- (i) Solid web and graphic design training;
- (ii) knowledge of Windows, Linux along with Macintosh based application for professional web and graphics designing concepts;
- (iii) knowledge of web and graphics designing applications such as Adobe Creative Suite design software, including but not limited to Photoshop, Illustrator, Openshot, Inkscape, GIMP;
- (v) basic knowledge of Linux and open-source web-based hosting applications. Applicants should provide links to some of their successful projects, must include at least two websites;
- (vi) strong organizational skills, creative thinking, sober minded and the ability to work within a team environment; and
- (vii) those with knowledge in animation will have added advantage.
Duties and Responsibilities
- (i) Producing graphic art and visual material for promotions, advertisements and collateral materials used in a variety of media outlets, to include website and online placement;
- (ii) ensuring appropriate graphic completion of various internal and external communication projects;
- (iii) timely production of advertisements, flyers, posters, brochures, and online visual communications in liaison with other departments, technical team and members of the public relations team;
- (iv) maintaining professional website standards for the university;
- (v) updating and enhancing the website to ensure that new design interfaces with current systems as needed;
- (vi) creating electronic communication for internal and external promotion;
- (vii) ensuring that advances in field and new software/technology are brought to the attention of the University;
- (viii) identifying areas of use that will maximize efficiency of web and graphic design and save money as related to outside consultancy;
- (ix) maintaining production log to ensure design, proofs and final products meet deadlines;
- (x) working with outside vendors, such as printers, advertising and media agencies, sign companies and search engine firms to complete web and graphics design related projects;
- (xi) assisting with implementation of public relations and communications plans and website database technical requirements such as resolving errors, regular backups;
- (xii) integrating advertising and web initiatives for internal and external communications; and
- (xiii) any other reasonable duties as assigned by the by the Supervisor.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
The application should include an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV), copies of academic and professional qualifications as well as names and contact details of three traceable referees. The job title should be indicated on the envelope and sent to:
Private Bag 201
Or Electronic Submission:
Electronic submission of the application should be sent as attachments in PDF or MS Word format to email@example.com. The subject line of the application should show the position being applied for.
To reach the University not later than Friday, 8th April 2022. Note that only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.